The Crime Stoppers Program offers rewards of up to $2,000 for anonymous information to the 800-577-TIPS hotline that leads to the arrest and indictment of a violent felon. This public/private partnership between the NYPD and the New York City Police Foundation has been an invaluable crime-fighting tool since the program’s inception in 1983.
The Police Foundation administers the program, distributes rewards and coordinates media campaigns to encourage public awareness. To ensure the anonymity of callers and maintain rewards, Crime Stoppers cannot be funded through traditional police resources. The Police Foundation must therefore rely on donations to support the program’s rewards and public education efforts.
Your support of Crime Stoppers provides clear, measurable results for our city:
- Calls to Crime Stoppers have helped solve more than 5,300 violent crimes including over 1,400 murders and attempted murders.
- Over $1.8 million in rewards have been approved to 1-800-577-TIPS callers
Private funding from individuals, corporations and foundations helps assure that criminals get the message: CRIME DOESN’T PAY. CRIME STOPPERS DOES.
NYPD Crime Stoppers – Submitting a Tip
If you have information regarding a crime committed or a wanted person:
- Call the Crime Stoppers tip line at 1-800-577-TIPS
- Submit an Internet tip by visiting www.nypdcrimestoppers.com
- Text your tip to “TIP577″ plus your message to “CRIMES” (274637)